10 March 2017

Old Friends (Or the Joy of Re-reading)


Old Friends (Or the Joy of Re-reading)


I never used to think reading the same book more than once was strange. As a child, I’d read the books I owned over and over, still have many of them and still read them now. I’d also borrow the same book from the library two or three times and enjoy reading it each time, often gaining a fresh perspective on some aspect of the plot or characters that I’d missed first time round.

But apparently not everyone is like that. Most of my friends and family read a book once then shelve it or give it away. In a library I used to work in, people would often ask me to check if they’d had a book before or would come and complain that a book they borrowed turned out to be one they’d already read, like the idea of reading something again was unthinkable.

I don’t understand this. To me, a favourite book is like an old friend. You’re familiar with each other, you never get tired of their company and they can pick you up when you’re feeling down. It was a favourite book that probably first started me on my journey to becoming a writer. Aged 12, off sick from school and stuck in bed, re-reading Swallows and Amazons, I decided to enhance the whole experience by writing my own diary version. In an old notebook I recorded the events in Swallowdale as if I was there, complete with illustrations and stuck in messages sent via arrow from the Amazons. I might have been using another writer’s characters and plot but I was also creating something new.

We live in a throwaway society and, as writers, maybe we should be grateful that readers seem to want to read something only once then move on to the next story. After all, that ensures a fresh supply of stories will always be needed. But I’m convinced there’s much to be gained from re-reading too. 

4 comments:

  1. My 'old friends' are The Mayor of Casterbridge, and Persuasion, a copy of which is interestingly on the shelf of the hotel room we're staying in this weekend. OH is reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fantastic, Jan! You can see the titles of many of my old friends in the photo.

      Delete
  2. I have several copies of The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean, in B&W, hardback and paper, because I've found myself caught short and in need of a blistering good read many times. I've just re-read Bud Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis and I'm currently reading One by Sarah Crossan again. I was thinking of re-reading the Mortal Engines series and The Lie Tree because I saw Philip Reeve and Frances Hardinge in a panel the other day. What's amazing is that I'm always surprised and delighted by what I read again. I totally agree, there is much to be regained from re-reading, books are not disposable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you get it too, Candy! And I'm also guilty of owning more than one copy of the same book. I did have 3 copies of K M Peyton's The Edge of the Cloud but I gave one to a friend.

      Delete